You will find some great castles close to Primrose Valley Holiday Park
Helmsley Castle - originally constructed in wood around 1120, rebuilt in stone by Robert de Roos at the beginning of the 13th century. Besieged by Parliamentary troops for three months in 1644, the garrison finally surrendered and so it became home to the Duke of Buckingham and his wife, the daughter of Thomas Fairfax, the Parliamentary commander. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
Pickering Castle - first constructed as a Norman timber and earth motte and bailey castle around 1070, this was rebuilt in stone between 1180 and 1187, with later fortifications added in the 11th and 12th centuries. The castle remains are particularly well-preserved as it was one of only a few fortifications which were largely unaffected by the 13th century Wars of the Roses and the English Civil War of the 17th century.
Knaresborough Castle - the remains of medieval fortress, has commanding views of the River Nidd, the first castle was erected shortly after the Norman Conquest of England. Viewed as an important northern fortress by English royalty King John, Edward I and Edward II all lavished funds on strengthening and improving its defences. During the Civil War, when in 1648 it was blown up, or slighted, on the orders of Parliament to prevent any future use as a military structure.
Skipsea Castle - built shortly after the Norman conquest of England an early motte and bailey type fortification. Originally built to subdue the unruly Saxon North of England, it also served to protect the coastline from Viking raids. Henry III ordered Skipsea destroyed in 1221 after its then owner, Count William de Forz II, rebelled against the crown. Free and open access at any reasonable time.
Scarborough Castle - this site was previously fortified by the Romans, Saxons, and Vikings. Before a Norman wooden castle was built around the 1130s. the castle commands extensive views over the North Sea. Originally built to subdue the unruly Saxon North of England, it was rebuilt and strengthened from 1150 onwards using local stone. The castle has been a ruin since the sieges of the English Civil War, between 1642 and 1648. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
Flamborough Castle - built around 1351, the castle was perhaps more of a fortified manor house, originally with clay wall defences. At the centre of these defences stood a chalk pele tower. The tower still stands to first floor level on three sides, the only surviving visible reminder of the castle. Although there is no public access to the ruins, it can be viewed from the nearby road.